PAINTING BEFORE YOUR SELL? PROS & CONS
With the housing market improving across Florida and other parts of the country, many homeowners are considering whether or not this is a good time to sell. For those ready to sell, there are many things to do be done to improve a home’s appeal and salability. We offer FREE consultations to homeowners in Hampton Roads to help them understand the pros and cons of painting, and to help them choose the best strategies for getting a home ready to put on the market.
Most real estate and decorating experts agree that painting a home—inside and out—is a relatively easy and inexpensive way to dramatically increase a home’s value. Fresh paint makes a home look and feel brighter, cleaner and newer—all important factors for prospective home buyers. While some would argue that there are home buyers who would prefer to paint their new home themselves so they can choose the colors, the majority of professionals have found that painting a house before it goes on the market will help it sale faster—and offers a solid return on investment.
Our painting pros can discuss the many choices available to you for exterior and interior paint during a FREE consultation. Here are some of key points to be considered:
- What is the style and materials of the home’s exterior? What types of paint and colors would work best with the individual home and the surrounding neighborhood?
- If you prefer not to paint the entire exterior of the home, you may want to consider painting the front door to add a touch of color and newness to the home. A freshly painting front door makes a great first impression and can increase the home’s curb appeal significantly. The front door is one place it is recommended to add a pop of color.
- Interior rooms painted with sophisticated and updated neutral colors will have the greatest appeal to the largest number of people. Although bright and bold colors can be fun and dramatic, they may be a turn off for people who would otherwise love your home. If you want to add color to your home, do it with artwork, furniture and decorating accessories.
- Choosing a professional painter can make a big difference in the results you receive because prep work—including cleaning and repairing surfaces—is critical to the final outcome. A sloppy or unprofessional paint job can actually detract from your home.
- In addition to walls, look closely at the trim work throughout your home. Do your doorways, railings and windows need to be updated or freshened up as well?